Sunday, August 20, 2006

12 Universal Degrees of Freedom













We have more options than we think we do


"I think I tend to avoid using the word will because I spontaneously associate it with the term 'free will' and all the controversies regarding the history of such human beliefs. I have felt that all such controversies lack adequate knowledge of science's generalized laws. To me it is obvious that no amount of individual will can nullify any cosmic law. It is also obvious to me that few know of and comprehend the significance of nature's having six positive and six negative equieconomical alternative moves to make with each turn to play in cosmic events.


It is clear to me that most humans tend to think in a linear, Go-or No-go, greenlight-redlight manner. To me, will is an optionally exercisable control by mind over brain--by wisdom over conditioned reflex-that becomes realizable when mind is adequately convinced regarding which of the 12 alternatives will produce the most comprehensively considerate vital advantage for all."

R. Buckminster Fuller. Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking. Section 537.51-537.52

Einstein reminded us that we can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. Bucky's nonlinear approach to problem solving revels that we always have more options than linear analysis suggests. (GW)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home